Thank you to my daughter Priva who suggested this delicious and healthy recipe; Guilt-Free spaghetti squash. During quarantine, Priva got into healthy eating and cooking and now she is teaching me some recipes.
You can make this dish with any type of ground meat; I prefer using ground turkey. Enjoy
Guilt-Free Spaghetti Squash
- Prep time10 mins
- Cook time 45 mins
- Total time 55 mins
- 3 servings
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or beef
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 oz tomato paste
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Optional garnishes: grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil, and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise.
- Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the squash cut-side down on the baking sheet, and roast for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic, and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the ground meat and diced onion to the pan, using a wooden spoon to break it up and stir around. Season the meat with ⅛ tsp each salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook, stirring until it is cooked all the way through, about 4 minutes.
- To the pan, add the can of diced tomatoes and half a small can (3 oz) of tomato paste. Season with the oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes. Stir, allow to come to a boil and then reduce to medium-low heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes
- When the squash is done, remove from the oven and turn the broiler on low. Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash so that it resembles noodles.
- Top with a couple of spoonfuls of the bolognese, and sprinkle ¼ cup mozzarella over each squash half. Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is golden.
- Finish with fresh basil and grated parmesan cheese if desired.